Game-changing ventilation technology for low energy houses, saves €500/annum in combined running costs and ventilation heat losses in a 200m2 house, pays for itself in 10 years, encased in Polypropylene with a sleek flush sheet metal finish. For current prices check the Fresh-r website https://www.fresh-r.eu
- World's most efficient HRV (heat recovery ventilation) delivers a 10 year payback compared with 40 years for "always on" ducted systems.
- Creates dwelling Zones with external quality air, nearby rooms are ventilated to these zones, toilet smells are extracted externally.
- Eliminates €50/annum Filters costs, Eliminated Ducts reduce fan pressure drop losses by 70%.
- Fans independently adjust to maintain heat exchanger efficiency, improving performance by 10% over HRV with equal fan speeds.
- Gases equalise rapidly in still air ensuring Humidity and CO2 arrive at the Fresh-r unit quicker by air than through ducts.
- In a 200m2 house, ducted HRV has annual running costs of €120/annum, for 2 Fresh-r units its €30/annum.
- Fresh-r results in significantly reduced ventilation heat-losses, only occupied spaces are ventilated.
- In a 200m2 house, ducted HRV has ventilation heat-losses of typically €250/annum, with 2 Fresh-r units it is approximately €50/annum
- CO2 and Humidity monitors constantly check air quality and adjust fan speed accordingly.
- Fits discreetly into the external wall, its polypropylene shell eliminating cold bridges.
- Very quiet - 25dB @35m3/hr and 35dB @80m3/hr and low fan power consumption puts it on top of the SAP list.
- Uses the world's most efficient fine-wire heat exchanger, its 15 times more powerful than a standard plate heat exchanger.
A 200m2 Passive House without HRV has 5,500kWh ventilation losses, always on ducted HRV reduces these losses by 3,500kWh, costs €96/annum to run and €60/annum for filters. This leaves €200/annum savings to pay back the €5,000 capital cost plus mortgage interest leaving a payback of 40 years. It probably needs replacing every 25 years!. 2 Fresh-r decentral MVHR units in the 200m2 house reduce the ventilation losses from 5,500kWh/annum to 500kWh/annum because unoccupied areas aren't ventilated, because they're always balanced and because the powerful heat exchanger is 15 times more efficient. There's no filters and the combined running costs of 2 units is €30/annum. This leaves €500/annum savings to pay back the €5,500 capital costs leaving a payback on investment of in the border of 10 years.
Jon Kristinsson and Eur Van Andel invented the Breathing Window (Fresh-r) in the early 90's, Jon also built the world's first 185 Rotterdam Passive Houses in 1980 with the world's first HRV and insulated foundations, 12 years before Wolfgang Feist. Jon measuring these 185 Passive Houses for 5 years and realised that "the heat-loss from the houses was equal to the heat-loss through ventilation", to reduce this he spent 10 years searching for the best heat exchanger in the world and eventually found the fine wire heat exchanger in the Van Andel workshop, 40km from where he lived. Passive House's normally have ventilation heat losses of 15kWh/m2.annum, the Breathing Window reduces ventilation running and heat-loss costs by 10kWh/m2.annum, so Jon has achieved his goal!
Intelligent controls using CO2 and humidity sensors continually balance fan speed for optimum efficiency, compensating for wind speed and air quality, this improves the heat exchange efficiency by a further 10%. (In a Canadian ducted HRV field study, 46% had unbalanced supply and exhaust air flows), so the BW only starts when stale or humid air is detected, this ensures optimum air quality and eliminates unnecessary ventilation heat losses. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEbrb2xH6-k for a short video-explaniation.
Centralised HRV systems use filters to reduce dust and grime building up in ducts, but often the pipes between the filter and the room remain dirty! (In a UK study only 10% of HRV owners changed filters, a Dutch Health Dept HRV spot check showed 52% had dirty filters).
The Fresh-r combines the best heat exchanger in the world, with the most efficient EC fans in the world, with intelligent control that constantly adjusts fan speeds, add in its ability to only ventilate occupied areas and it becomes something remarkable.
Filters are not necessary in the Fresh-r but can be fitted if required, however note that despite 15,000 HRV units being sold in the UK in 2010, only 2,000 filters were sold in 2011. Naturally occurring filter blockage, which increases over time, causes fans to automatically increase running speed to maintain volumes of delivered air. Most people don't notice this until their electricity bill arrives. With a Fresh-r, you can simply remove the FiWi heat exchanger and place it in the dishwasher, shower, or just hoover the dust out. It couldn't be simpler.
Any condensate occurring in the system automatically drains to waste, so you never have to worry about condensation build-up. Removal of odors in bathrooms is easily taken care of with humidity/motion activated fans with actuators.